By Adam Wesley Dean
Spanning the lengthy 19th century, Dean's learn analyzes the altering debate over land improvement because it transitioned from targeting the construction of a virtuous and orderly citizenry to being obvious basically as a "civilizing" project. through displaying Republicans as women and men with backgrounds in small farming, Dean unveils new connections among doubtless separate historic occasions, linking this era's perspectives of average and artifical environments with interpretations of slavery and land policy.
Read Online or Download An Agrarian Republic: Farming, Antislavery Politics, and Nature Parks in the Civil War Era (Civil War America) PDF
Similar political parties books
After 1945, kingdom patriotism of the communist regimes in japanese Europe used to be characterised by way of the common use of nationwide symbols. In communist Hungary the occasion (MKP) generally celebrated nationwide vacations, nationwide heroes, erected nationwide statues, and hired nationwide road names. This 'socialist patriotism' had its starting place within the 'national line' of the Comintern, validated on Soviet directions following the German invasion of the Soviet Union.
Twenty years have handed because the transition to democracy started in jap Europe. this present day, West and East-Central ecu nations percentage a typical political area - the eu Union. This has created a desirable chance for research of the similarities and modifications among those nations.
The 4 Faces of the Republican get together sincerely describes how Republican Presidential nominating contests spread. Its concentrate on celebration factions permits readers to appreciate the method and to foretell who the eventual nominee may be. particularly, the authors discover why a conservative get together continually nominates applicants favourite through the party's institution and why evangelical conservatives regularly turn out to be one of many ultimate contenders for the nomination.
Politicians, executive officers, and public kin officials lean seriously on polling whilst fashioning public coverage. Proponents say this is often for the easiest, arguing that surveys convey the perspectives of voters towards civic officers. Critics decry polling's merchandising of sycophantic politicians who pander to the whims of public sentiment, or, conversely, using surveys by means of certain curiosity teams to thwart the bulk will.
- Strategic Decision-Making in Presidential Nominations: When and Why Party Elites Decide to Support a Candidate
- Nationalism in Southeast Asia: If the People Are with Us (Routledge Studies in the Modern History of Asia)
- The Conservative Party and European Integration since 1945: At the Heart of Europe? (Routledge Advances in European Politics)
- Partisan Hearts and Minds: Political Parties and the Social Identity of Voters: Political Parties and the Social Identities of Voters (The Institution for Social and Policy St)
- Patronage and Politics in the USSR (Cambridge Russian, Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies)
- Political Marketing: Theory and Concepts (SAGE Advanced Marketing Series)
Additional info for An Agrarian Republic: Farming, Antislavery Politics, and Nature Parks in the Civil War Era (Civil War America)