By W. W. Rostow
A relied on consultant to Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson and one among America's major professors of monetary heritage, W. W. Rostow has contributed to shaping the highbrow debate and governmental rules on significant fiscal, political, and armed forces concerns when you consider that global battle II. during this thought-provoking memoir, he is taking a retrospective examine 11 key coverage issues of which he has been concerned to teach how rules circulate concrete motion and the way activities taken or no longer taken within the brief time period really ensure the longer term that we name "the future."
The concerns that Rostow discusses are these:
- The use of air energy in Europe within the 1940s
- Working towards a united Europe throughout the chilly War
- The dying of Joseph Stalin and early makes an attempt to finish the chilly War
- Eisenhower's Open Skies policy
- The debate over international relief within the 1950s
- The financial revival of Korea
- Efforts to manage inflation within the 1960s
- Waiting for democracy in China
- The Vietnam conflict and Southeast Asian policy
- U.S. city difficulties in deprived neighborhoods
- The demanding situations posed by means of declining inhabitants within the twenty-first century
In discussing how he and others have labored to satisfy those demanding situations, Rostow builds a compelling case for together with long term forces within the making of present coverage. He concludes his memoir with provocative reflections at the 20th and twenty-first centuries and on how person actors form history.
Read Online or Download Concept and Controversy: Sixty Years of Taking Ideas to Market PDF
Similar political history & theory books
Recovers a feeling of John Locke's critical position within the making of the trendy international. It demonstrates that his imaginative and prescient of recent existence used to be built on a philosophy of human freedom that's the highbrow nerve connecting some of the strands of his proposal. by way of revealing the intensity and originality of Locke's critique of the metaphysical assumptions and authoritative associations of pre-modern lifestyles, this booklet rejects the idea of Locke as an highbrow anachronism.
The 3rd of 3 volumes of essays through Quentin Skinner, one of many world's prime highbrow historians. This assortment comprises a few of his most vital essays on Thomas Hobbes, every one of which has been rigorously revised for ebook during this shape. In a chain of writings spanning the prior 4 a long time Professor Skinner examines, along with his regularly occurring perspicuity, the evolution and personality of Hobbes's political proposal.
Drawing at the paintings of Foucault and Bourdieu, David Lindenfeld illuminates the sensible mind's eye because it used to be exhibited within the transformation of the political and social sciences in the course of the altering stipulations of nineteenth-century Germany. utilizing a wealth of data from nation and collage information, inner most correspondence, and a survey of lecture choices in German universities, Lindenfeld examines the unique staff of realized disciplines which originated in eighteenth-century Germany as a curriculum to coach nation officers within the management and reform of society and which integrated economics, records, politics, public management, finance, and kingdom legislations, in addition to agriculture, forestry, and mining.
Dynamics of entrepreneurship have attracted turning out to be awareness from students of political technology, coverage reviews, public management and making plans, in addition to extra lately, from the nation-states of diplomacy and overseas coverage research. less than the banner of political entrepreneurship, this quantity considers and maps out conceptual techniques to the learn of entrepreneurship drawn from those fields, discusses synergies, envisages new analytical instruments and provides modern empirical case reviews, illustrating the varied political contexts during which entrepreneurship occurs within the polis.
- The Passions and the Interests: Political Arguments for Capitalism before Its Triumph (Princeton Classics)
- Gewalt und Politik im Europa des 19. und 20. Jahrhunderts (Das Politische als Kommunikation) (German Edition)
- Interdisziplinäre Europastudien: Eine Einführung (German Edition)
- Challenging governance theory: From networks to hegemony
Additional resources for Concept and Controversy: Sixty Years of Taking Ideas to Market